- “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, …” (Matthew 28:19 NIV)
- “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation …” (Mark 16:15 NIV)
- “… and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations …” (Luke 24:47 NIV)
- “As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” (John 20:21 NIV)
- “… and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8 NIV)
A GLORIOUS TASK
Administering an earthly will can be a tedious and sad task, but obeying the Lord Jesus’ command to share the gospel with lost people is a ‘GLORIOUS TASK’. Two thousand years ago, Jesus said to his disciples, “The HARVEST is plentiful but the workers are FEW.” (Matthew 9:37 NIV). The enemy of souls tries to tell us that people do not want to hear the gospel; don’t believe the lie. During the 50 years of Gospel Printing Mission ministry we have faced many problems, challenges, machine breakdowns and financial testing at the 11th hour etc. The greatest challenge we have faced, I believe, is the lack of sufficient voluntary workers from various age groups.
WHAT SHOULD THE RESPONSE BE?
At this point, just realising that there is a need for voluntary workers is not sufficient. Just basing our response on the need for workers alone can result in a ‘self-response’, a ‘we ought to help God out’ type of thinking. Some people have said, “I could come to the mission for an hour or two from time to time”. However, the nature of GPM’s ministry requires a regular commitment of several hours each week; it takes time to learn the various processes involved. Of even greater importance is that a possible worker is driven by a sense of compassion with the ‘Love of Christ‘ controlling them.
HOW ARE THE RIGHT VOLUNTARY WORKERS TO BE FOUND?
Matthew 9:38 goes on to say, “Ask the Lord of the harvest , therefore to send out workers into his harvest field.” (NIV). This is a fourfold response through prayer. Whether you are a possible worker or someone who cannot be involved but who is very prayerfully concerned about the need, both can share in this fourfold response.
- Ask / Pray – this is the method and not an optional extra. I like to call it the ‘vertical approach’. We send up the prayer up to God and He through the Holy Spirit sends the signal down to the right person. this avoids getting ‘square pegs in round holes’.
- We pray to THE LORD of the HARVEST – we recognise that God is soevereign and we are only channels. It is quite in order in conversation with other brothers or sisters in the Lord to share the need for workers, but our reliance for the answer must be directed to the Lord and not to a recruitment drive.
- To SEND OUT workers – the results in GOD motivated workers being thrust into the work. You might even answer your own prayer!!!
- Into HIS HARVEST FIELD – It’s not our ministry, it’s HIS. When souls are saved, we join with the angels in praise, BUT, BUT, BUT, God gets the GLORY.
PRAY / ASK and God does the rest on condition that we are a disciple of Christ in a right relationship with Him. EXECUTING God’s will to reach the lost takes on new meaning as a glorious harvest of souls is gathered in. the results span all eternity.